Monday 13 October 2014


Monday 6th October
It rained most of the morning, so I did not go swimming, I spent most of the morning trying to find some suitable resources for the English class, they are at quite a low level of understanding, they have some words, but are not sure what to do with them. There are no books available, I am beginning to think I may have to write a few simple stories for them. The children’s story books that are here are too removed from their situation and not much help.

Tuesday 7th October
I was celebrant at morning Mass today as usual, followed by breakfast with the sisters and a few others. I needed to do a bit of shopping, so I went to do that and then back to the Church for 10.00am to go with Fr Panus to Ta Om. I have been there many times before, it is one of the first places the Diocese of East Anglia helped to build, then later when they were ready the Diocese also funded the new roof for the 19th c French village church that stands in the middle of the village. 

Mary of the Mantle, Ta Om

The route is a main road for about half an hour, then off to the left along a dirt road for about 45 minutes. This dirt road is very much improved since the last time I was on it and we made really good progress, there is a lot of water about in the rice fields and sometimes the road was flooded, but no trouble for the pickup.
Road top Ta Om, bit like crossing the Fens


A few trees, but very flat


A bit flooded, no problem, drive on!

Rice soup is served in Ta Om on Mondays at the moment, so we were there for Mass and some instruction with the teachers and the children. It was very quiet around the village, time for a little wander, the river is quite high at this time of the year, a few children were playing nearby.

A version of paper, scissors, rock.

Mark the results on a frame drawn in the dust, good use of resources!

We had lunch with the leaders of the community, which we had brought from Siem Reap, then a short rest and Mass at 2.00 pm. 


Lunch with the staff at Ta Om

Many children were preparing for Mass, learning songs and sitting very still and quiet in the heat, Mass was very prayerful and devout and the children took an active part, there were a few mums also present. The Church was built in the time of the French rule, then confiscated and used as a stable during the time of Pol Pot, eventually it was returned to the Church. It is the biggest space in the village and is sued for many things, but it is lovingly cared for and is used for Mass each Tuesday.

Getting ready for Mass

After Mass a Japanese visitor presented some books to the children and I gave some M & Ms and some Maltesers, the former were in good shape, the latter, seriously melted, but all were consumed.




Chocolate, the international language that gets to all 
ages.










We came a different way back, right along the bank of the river, and the whole was is built up, one village after another, there is a good living to made from the river. Most houses are a mixture of wood, bamboo and reeds, some are now smart concrete houses, even with room for cars, which may be more ornament than use with the condition of the road. We arrived back in Siem Reap just in time for the 5.00pm English class.

Wednesday 8th October
Weather is better today, I did some reading then went for a swim, and had some lunch. In the afternoon I had a class with Saki to help me get the words finished for the Mass in Khmer, she is very helpful and good at the language. Then I taught English, I have two classes on Wednesday, did both of them and then home to cook supper

Thursday 9th October
Nice bright day again, no rain today, perhaps in the evening. I went to the supermarket for some shopping, then for a swim and to the local market for veg and some eggs. The girl on the stall I used last week remembered me and was cheerful and pleasant.




I also bought a pineapple and watched while  the lady trimmed it for me with a knife that would be an offensive weapon at home, she did it very quickly and skilfully and it looked lovely when she had finished, all that, including the fruit for $1. Lots of sights and smells in the market, but very friendly.














Friday 10th October
Mass today is in the evening, so after a lie in and prayers I went for a swim. I taught in the afternoon and then I had been invited to the Jesuit Service House by Sr Denise to say Mass for their small community and to have dinner with them. Every day I chat with a moto driver at the corner of the road, but do not usually need a ride, today, I do, so I booked him to pick me up at the Church at 6.00 pm. He turned up and took me out to their house, which is near the edge of the city, on the way to the airport. I met Sr Denise, who I have met here before and seen already this time, she is lovely and a motherly figure for the small community of Jesuit Volunteers. She is an Australian Sister of Mercy, so we chatted a little about Ireland and some sisters there. The others are Brother Do, a Vietnamese Jesuit brother, who will eventually be a priest, then Elizabeth, from Paris and Hayley from New York. They are both volunteers for 6 – 8 months with the Jesuit Volunteers, Elizabeth has a degree in hospitality and is volunteering at the hospital. to try to help them improve their systems, Hayley has just arrived, not sure yet what she is going to do. There is a lovely chapel at their residence, also where Fr Panus lives, so I said Mass there for the five of us. I forgot my camera, but it was dark anyway, so I will get some photos next time I go there. We had lovely dinner, rice, but pasta also, as an alternative, very welcome to me, fried chicken and so on. For desert Sr Denise had some ice cream for us as a treat, very good, then as a further treat cheese and wine!! She is very good for treats!! A most enjoyable evening, with good company, I am sure there will be other occasions. My moto driver turned up to pick me up and chatted in fairly good English all the way home.

Saturday 11th October
Again Mass is in the evening, so a small lie in, got up at 6.30 instead of 5.30, such luxury on a Saturday morning. I went shopping this morning as I had been encouraged by Sr Denise last night to treat myself to some wine, which can be found at good prices. I came across what to me is a small mystery, how did I manage to come without a corkscrew? I always have one handy at home and travel with two in my car, just in case a friend might need to use one. Anyway, I went to the Japanese second hand shop, I am a regular visitor, and picked up a corkscrew for 50 cents, problem solved. Then to the supermarket for a few bits and pieces and a bottle of French Merlot at $5.50, about £3.40, when I tried it later, it was very enjoyable. I said the English Mass in the evening, less people this week, no big group of visitors. Fr Simon from Rome concelebrated with me, he is here on a mission from the neo-Catecumenate, he has permission from Bishop Kike, but is not being fully encouraged at this stage. However, he is nice enough and his English is quite good. After Mass home  to cook dinner and enjoy my first wine since leaving England, except at Mass, where the wine used is Monbazillac, excellent choice!!










1 comment:

  1. Lovely update unc! Just posting a comment under a different system to check if it works...let's see! Sending a big hug! Sxxx

    ReplyDelete